10 facts about Jerusalem thus far:
- The plane ride over was like watching a huge family reunion. At least half of the jews headed to Tel Aviv were just up wondering the isles, chilling listening to their music, or praying. Very unique 11 hour flight.
- The group is fantastic! There are 30 of us that have reached the center thus far and everyone is sooo nice. Granted, I think everyone is a little shell-shocked, jet-lagged, and wanting to have an amazing experience, but if they can still be super fun and nice with only 3 hours of sleep, I’m in for a treat.
- The flight attendant from JFK to Tel Aviv sounded EXACTLY like Michelle from Gilmore Girls.
- Unfortunately, 51 of the groups flights were cancelled in Pheonix so some will probably get here tomorrow, sunday, and then next week. Catie LeGrow was serious when she said I would be lucky I wasn’t on her flight... :( Please say a prayer so they can get here soon!
- The call to prayer was going on as we got to the center. A very touching experience.
- I am still in complete shock as to the beauty of the center. Get this, the dome of the rock is framed by a pomegranate tree and roses on my patio. As I am typing away, there is a waterfall behind me that just echos across the limestone interiors.
- Food at the center is soooo good! When we arrived they had a beautiful array of snacks awaiting us. (And for those curious, I did only eat one) Dinner was also absolutely incredible! Everything is very aromatic and tastes as good as it looks. Tonight was a sweet chicken with green olives with rice, vegetables, salad, pita, and chocolate mousse.
- Airplane food is in fact ridiculously bad. I don’t know why they don’t just give you a carton of milk and a mini box of cereal but the pitta bread in a breadstick this morning is just not cutting it.
- I read the Genesis 1-20 yesterday and remembered that there are some crazy/semi disturbing bible stories.
- Tonight was the last night of Ramadan and our neighborhood sounded like they were having a wonderful time celebrating it.
- I know I said 10, but my computer changes all the little ads and buttons into hebrew now, which is kind of impossible for me to figure out....
P.S. I love you all and am having a marvelous time! If you want/need to get a hold of me, it’s easiest of you email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org :) Thanks!